Monday, August 29, 2011

It's Happened To Be A Closet @ Emporium, Bangkok



Don't you just love Thai-lish?  What?  Exactly!

Let me rephrase that question; don't you just love Thai-English?  That is, English spoken and written the Thai way.

'It's happened to be a closet' doesn't make grammatical sense to a native English speaker, but we all know that grammatical mistakes can and does (often) happen in this part of the world.  And so as a native English speaker, I often find myself speaking English the local way in order to make myself understood to the locals.  Note to self: permission granted to friends to slap me if I ever speak Thai-lish in their presence.

Anyway, back to It's Happened To Be A Closet,  The menu is made up of Italian inspired fare with a few French things thrown in for good measure: soups (including onion soup), pasta, osso buco stew, desserts, coffee (Lavazza).

The décor is eclectic shabby-chic; tables and chairs line the outside, clothes and other interesting paraphernalia make up the interesting closet inside.

I ordered a pasta 'bacon olio' (over 200 baht) and an iced coffee.  Both of which I have completely forgotten exactly how much.  Sorry folks, wasn't paying too much attention today.


I was brought a lovely little oven tray full of different breads: garlic, cheesy, walnut and focaccia.  They were deliciously warm and fresh.

My iced coffee came with a big dollop of cream from a can, which I duly asked the waiter to remove.  A girl like me simply cannot consumme full fat cream in such blatant form.  It has to be hidden for me to enjoy - wierd I know - I have some strange quirks.


My spaghetti bacon olio was a very generous portion as you can see.  The ingredients were fresh and plenty of them.  The pasta is obviously the dried stuff and if I'm honest, it was a little on the oily side for me.  Service is polite and unassuming. 

Overall, the food isn't cheap here.  In fact I'd say it is a little on the pricey side.  Is it worth it?  Well, it's a pretty unique concept and it's a great spot for a relaxing lunch or afternoon tea. 

Would I go back?  Yes I would; I want to try their baked onion soup; I love the cuteness of the place; the colourful shabby chic décor and the fact that it happens to be a closet as well. 

It's Happened To Be A Closet
Emporium Mall, Fl. 2, 622 Sukhumivt Rd., Kongton, Klongtoey, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand
Tel: +66 (0)2 664 7211 2
Nearest BTS: Phrom Phong, exit 2

HOURS
Daily 10:45am-10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment