Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mamma's Boy, Melbourne


This cafe resides on Little Collins street near the Spring street end.  The empathsis is on fresh, healthy, wholesome and utterly delicious food.

Space is limited and can be a bit of a squash during the usual busy lunch hour.  But this place was well worth the short wait I had endure to get a table.  Luckily for me though, I had arrived just before one thirty in the aftermoon, just as some of the office workers were finishing their lunch.  Get here for two o'clock and you are pretty much guaranteed a table.

The menu is short and sweet, with some gluten free options.  There is enough to entice the healthy diner who loves good food without compromise.  Being a cold Autumnal Melbourne day, I wanted something hot and chose the 'chilli infused vegetable soup' (which was the soup the day). 

It arrived steaming hot garnished with coriander leaves and a serving of wonderful wholegrain bread.  It made such a refreshing change to get served wholegrain as opposed to the usual white bread that cafes normally serve with soup.  For us healthies, it's a sigh of relief.

Apologies for the rubbish picture, the photo really doesn't do it justice.  Plus the fact that I had already eaten about a third of it before I remembered to get my camera out.  It really tasted so much better than it looks - seriously!!


The soup went down a real treat and I loved the mild heat of the chilli.  It was subtle enough to provide a wonderful kick to the soup amongst the chunks of delicious veggies.

I followed with a skinny flat white - which tasted so good, I simply had to have a second.  At $2.90 each, this was cheapest flat white I've had in this city so far.  And they were really good ones at that.

It's a no-brainer to see why this place gets busy at lunch time, and I can understand why they do so much takeout business too.  The food is really good, really tasty and really healthy.  Staff are super friendly too.  And I love the fact that patrons can sit on the counter bench to have their lunch whilst taking in the hustle and bustle of this bijoux cafe. 

A great cafe for a spot of lunch or just a coffee. 

Mamma's Boy
13 Little Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Tel: +61 (0)3 9662 2166
 HOURS
Mon-Fri: 7am-4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment