Monday, December 7, 2009

Commercial Bakery, Melbourne


Commercial bakery can be found on the corner of Gills Alley and Little Collins.  I read somewhere that it used to be a truck rental garage.  I'd never have guessed it.

I was meeting a friend for lunch here today.  At 1:30pm, we arrived just on the cusp of a busy lunchtime.  As the office workers were finishing up, we were just getting started. 

The bakery cafe has just a few tables and leads into Gills Diner at the back.  Although not a huge place - with tables cosily placed next to each other, the high ceiling gives the bakery cafe a greater sense of space. 

The chalkboard listed a cold soup (of which I failed to make a note of) and spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino.  Mmm, a delicious Italian rustic dish.  However, I was in the mood for a nice pie, so I ordered the 'Cock-a-leekie' pie with salad for $10.50.  The waitress came to take our order.  But a minute later she came back saying that they were out of all the pies...a little disappointed, I opted for the spaghetti. 

I also ordered a skinny flat white.  My first coffee of the day, it was strong and smooth.  It went down a treat. 

Stainless steel utensil holders are filled with cutlery on each polished concrete topped table, along with a jar of brown sugar and a breakfast/drinks menu.  It feels a little like a school canteen. 

The spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino arrived with grated parmesan on top.  The spaghetti had a lovely bite to it, the parsley was fresh and fragrant.  It was just delicious...DELICIOUS!

If I had to criticise, I would say that it was a little measly in portion size for $16.50.  However, that could just be me being exceptionally greedy.  It was afterall, my first meal of the day.  I don't usually make a habit of skipping breakfast, but today I had no choice.  So come 1:30pm, I was famished to the core. 

Commercial bakery cafe has rustic and homely charm.  I bought some fluffy looking croissants to take home with me.  They are freshly baked on the premises along with their bread and other pastries.

The girls who work here even have a homely, countryside feel about them with their black aprons and casual jeans.  A lovely place for an informal bite to eat and some take-home croissants. 

Commercial Bakery
360 Little Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: +61 (0)3 9670 7214

Mon-Fri: 7am-5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment