Monday, May 10, 2010

Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, Melbourne



This place sits at the bottom of the Eureka building on Southbank Boulevard.  There's plenty of outside seating and is perfect for those who want to get away from the busy thoroughfare of the main Southbank riverside

After a bit of ice skating this morning, my budding ice skaters and I decided to find some lunch at the Belgian Beer Cafe.  With plenty of tables available, we sat on a long wooden table outside.

The food menu isn't huge, but we all managed to find something.  I chose the soup of the day which turned out to be 'Minestrone & vegetable' ($9.50).  Didn't say whether it would come with bread or not, but I wasn't exactly fussed. 

My ice skating buddies chose between them the Chicken Chasseur pie with mash and mint pea stoemp (mash basically); Veal schnitzel and kifler potato salad (German finger potatoes); and a bowl of chips with aioli.

The Chicken pie arrived first with a little gravy drizzled over the pie.  Please forgive the picture, I took the photo after the pie had been cut into.  Otherwise, it did look rather good and intact.  I loved the bold green colour of the mint pea stoemp!  Apparently it all tasted good, although the pie was just average. 


The veal schnitzel came next which looked rather good.  At $18.50, they were generous with the veal schnitzel.  The herb and bread crumb crust looked delightfully golden and crisp.  Baby rocket was dressed with a mustard dressing and the kifler potato salad looked positively yummy!  Suffice to say, the diner of this dish seemed very happy.


My bowl of soup did indeed arrive without bread.  I wasn't bothered as most places don't offer a choice and more often than not, end up offering white bread if they do.  Why most cafes restaurants don't offer unrefined carbs to us 'no go refined carbers' I have no idea?!  Yes, that's right, I am no go refined carber.  Well except for the odd potato (a girl has to have her chips?!) and very rarely, white bread - which should be a complete no go as far as my head is concerned.

Nevertheless, my soup was tasty, not sure where the minestrone bit came into it.  It was just vegetable soup as far as I was concerned. 


Finally, the bowl of chips.  At $7.50, it was a huge bowl of chips.  I was rather disappointed that they didn't actually serve the typical Belgian french fries.  Surely chips is more British?!  Still, no one complained.  They tasted, well like chips.  They were hot and tasty.  What more can can I say...


Staff aren't exactly the friendliest lot but then again, maybe they were just having a bad day.  Who knows! 

The food is OK, nothing amazing, but nothing terrible either.  This is more of a place to come for a relaxing drink or two and some nibbles if you're feeling a little peckish.

Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka
5 Riverside Quay, Southbank, VIC 3006
Tel: +66 (0)3 9690 5777

No comments:

Post a Comment