Thursday, August 11, 2011

Crêpes & Co, Klongtoey, Bangkok



Love crêpes?  Me too.  For those of you who don't, what's there not to like?  Seriously people, they are goooood.

I actually prefer crêpes over any other style of pancake.  These thin crispy edged pancakes are a wonderful French export and yes, we have them here in Bangkok.

I had been meaning to check out Crêpes & Co for some time now and today, I finally managed to get there.  

It's about a five (sweaty) minute walk down Soi 12 from Sukhumvit road.  Add a couple more minutes or so if walking from Asoke BTS (exit 2).

You'll see a painted white wall with their sign sticking out and at first, you may start to doubt whether this place was really worth checking out or not.  At least this is what I did.  And after a sweaty walk down, I was damned if I was going to turn back around.

As I approached the entrance though, I was presented with the most lush and beautiful jungle garden.  I have to admit, I was VERY pleasantly surprised.  Maybe this place was worth seeking out.

Walking into the restaurant, I was instantly greeted by a friendly waiter in the typical Frenchman outfit: a blue and white striped top with a red neck scarf and a black beret.  All he needed was a moustache and a french accent.  Thankfully he hadn't acquired the abrupt Parisien manner that I had been accustomed to. 

I chose to sit in the front room on a table by the low window and I was immediately poured a lovely glass of iced cold water and handed the menu.  Ahh, this place just kept getting better by the minute.

There is seating outside on a beautifully decked verandah and a large dining room up a few steps from the front room which also houses the bar. 


There's a couple of tall bookcases with magazines, cushioned rattan seating with a coffee table covered in newspapers, a basket full of teddies and toys for the kiddies.  Music plays out softly in the background and the owner comes around to say hello to all his patrons ... a really lovely touch.  There is also free wifi for those who want it.

As you can imagine, there are crêpes galore here: French, brunch style, most popular and international flavours.  There's also appetizers, pasta, Mediterranean plates such as moussaka, Tajine of lamb and so forth, and 14 different salads.  And if you would prefer, you can also make up your very own savoury crêpe by ticking off your own ingredients:


Being in Thailand, I decided to go for the Massaman chicken curry crêpe.  I was very tempted to go for a French one, but decided that curry was the order of the day.

I didn't have too long to wait, but it didn't come out right away, which in my book is a good sign that the crêpes are cooked fresh.  As you can see below, it was a very generous portion.


The curry was delicious, the potato was cooked through, the chicken pieces were tender and crêpe was scrumdidlyumptious.  My only gripe and this is just an aesthetic one: the chef could have cleaned the plate of crumbs before it came out ... it looks like a bad case of crêpe crumb dandruff.

That said, I will definitely be back.  I love the ambience, the setting and the lush green jungle front garden.  The serving staff are all so friendly and polite, along with the owner himself. 

They also have a branch in Thonglor and you can find the details on their website.  

So if you're in the mood for crêpes in Bangkok, you really need to check this place out.

Crêpes & Co
18/1, Sukhumvit Soi 12, Klongtoey 10110, Bangkok, Thailand
Tel: +66 (0)2 653-3990 / 3991

Nearest BTS: Asoke, exit 2

HOURS
Daily: 9am-Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment