Friday, August 19, 2011

NY-style bagels at last! BKK Bagel Bakery, Pathumwan, Bangkok



Don't you just love learning something new, however big or small that new thing may be? 

I do, and today I learnt a few interesting facts from the manager of this less than six months old bagel bakery which I will share with you later on in this post. 

But first, I would like to introduce the first ever (dedicated) bagel bakery in Bangkok, BKK Bagel Bakery.  It's a short hop, skip and a jump from Chidlom BTS, exit 2. 

It's a small place, but with maximum impact: light and airy, stuffed full of delicious looking bagels, chewy brownies, American style cookies, NY blueberry cheesecake, moist carrot cake and so forth.  Everything is clearly displayed on their chalkboard (with friendly manager included in my picture) below: 


Choose from their signature bagel sandwich stuffings or choose to make your own.  Get a side of coleslaw or salad and you have the perfect bagel lunch.  With six different bagels to choose from, its hard to go wrong.  


Since I have recently decided to become a more adventurous eater, I thought I ought to broaden my horizons today. 

Although I will confess some things are and will forever remain off limits for reasons I won't bore you with.

So to follow through on my promise, I ordered the 'open-faced tongue sandwich' on a wholewheat bagel (200 Baht) along with an iced coffee (50 Baht) to wash it all down with.  Oh how I wish I could see some of your facial reactions to my choice.

Nevertheless, whilst my bagel was being prepared, I discovered the following:
1. Bagels are boiled before baking.  This helps to create the chewy texture inside.
2. Bagels are a Jewish cuisine.
3. Bagels are historically linked to pretzels.
4. Bagels should not be kept in a paper bag overnight as it makes them rock hard the next day.
5. Bagels are best kept in a plastic bag overnight to avoid becoming rock hard.

And now for a close-up of my open-faced beef tongue sandwich:


Yes, it's a mighty big tongue, what do you expect for a cow?! 

For anyone who may be a bit squeamish about eating beef tongue, please don't be.  If you didn't know that this was tongue, you'd think it was delicious homemade corned beef.

Now to get this beef tongue super tender, I was told how it goes through a lengthy process which involves all sorts of brining and marinating.  It's a true labour of love and one that is clearly evident in the finished product.

The horseradish sauce wasn't overpowering (unlike some) and it gave the beef tongue extra oomph.  The scallions were indeed fresh with a crunchy bite.  There was so much tongue, I was stuffed to the brim. 

The iced coffee was also really good and because I enjoyed my bagel sandwich so much, here is another photo to end on:


I bought a couple of bagels at 35 Baht each to take home, kept them in a plastic bag overnight and toasted them the next day.  They were perfect, thank you BKK Bagel Bakery manager for the storage tip!

The signature bagel sandwiches range from 150 to 225 Baht.  If choosing to make your own, you could end up paying a lot less, or a bit more depending on what and how much you choose.

If you're hankering after a NY-style bagel, a delicious sandwich or American style cookies, brownies and more, get to BKK Bagel Bakery. 

BKK Bagel Bakery
518/3 Maneeya Center, Ploenchit Road, Bangkok 10330
Tel:  +66 (0)2 254 8157 

Nearest BTS: Chidlom, exit 2.  At the bottom of the stairs, turn around to the left and take a right at Haagen Dazs.  BKK Bagel Bakery will be a few steps up on your right hand side.

HOURS
Mon-Fri: 8:30am-6:30pm
Sat: 8:30am-3pm
Closed Sundays

No comments:

Post a Comment