Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tan Tan Men, Watthana, Bangkok



My American friend Fluff, (who knows a thing or two about food having worked with some top chefs) told me about this place.  So of course, I needed to pay a visit to Tan Tan Men. 

I went a couple of times in order to try two different ramen dishes.  The restaurant is clean, light and bright.  Located in an old shop house - it is small but tall - meaning there are three floors of seating.

The girls welcome every guest with as much gusto as they bid farewell, which is pretty enthusiastically.  You'll know when patrons enter or leave this place.  The kitchen is located at the back of the ground floor which is slightly open for viewing.


On my first visit, I chose the 'Curry Ramen' at 150 baht.  I simply couldn't believe how big a portion they served.  Wow, I was a little overwhelmed, but seeing as I was hungry, I started to tuck in.  The curry was only mild and it certainly wouldn't blow any heads off. This ramen was fat and tasty.  It was so filling, I couldn't finish the whole lot.  Shame because I really enjoyed it.  Next time though, I will order the Tonkatsu curry ramen (breaded deep-fried pork cutlet) for a bit of added protein.


On my second visit, I ordered the 'Tan Tan Men' ramen at 140 baht.  Again, I couldn't believe the shear scale of the mammoth portion that was brought out to me.  It came topped with fresh beansprouts and spring onions (scallions).  The sesame seed based broth was delightful and left a rather pleasant peanut-y aftertaste.  Again, I simply couldn't finish the whole lot, and again, what a shame!


They also serve one plate rice dishes, stir fry vegetable dishes, fried rice and a few other things like gyoza and tempura.

Prices are reasonable, especially considering how big a portions they are.  Service is polite, friendly and efficient (as one would expect in a Japanese restaurant).  And to top it all off, there is no added service charge or government tax to the bill.  Love this place for all sorts of reasons and I will be back.

Tan Tan Men
595/20 Sukhumvit Soi 33/1, Khlong Tan Nua, Watthana, Bangkok
Tel: +66 (0)2 662 2084
Nearest BTS: Phrom Phong, exit 5.  Keep walking ahead and turn right into Soi 33/1 at the corner of Robin Hood pub.  Tan Tan men is just up on the right-hand side.

HOURS
Daily 11am - Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment