Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sapporo Ramen Miharu, Robertson Quay, Singapore



In need of a quick fix lunch today, I headed out and across the road to Sapporo Ramen Miharu on the ground floor of the Gallery Hotel.

For those that don't know, ramen is a Japanese noodle dish and the origins of ramen noodle actually came from China.  If you would like to know a little more,  ieatishootipost does a nice little introduction.

Anyhow, at 2pm, it was a late lunch and as I entered this small establishment, it was empty apart from yours truly.  Unperturbed by being a lone diner with three bored looking waitresses, I sat down to peruse the menu. 

Dominated by ramen noodle soup dishes (as one would expect), there are also dumplings (gyoza), appetizers, and a small selection of donburi (or don) on offer  The latter are simply Japanese rice bowl meals: a bowl with rice topped with protein and vegetables. 

At the top of the menu, there is a small note telling the customer that the Nishiyama noodles are especially imported from Japan.  I was rather hoping for freshly made ones on the spot .... or was this just silly wishful thinking on my naive little part. 


I ended up ordering the Shoyu ramen: original soy sauce. The second bored looking waitress proceeded to fetch me a glass of ice cold water whilst the one who took my order went off to the kitchen with my ticket.

Seeing as I had brought along some reading material, I got stuck into it. Otherwise I think I would have been as bored as the waitresses here.

The wait wasn't long and soon a steaming bowl of ramen arrived, served by the third waitress who didn't even glance at me when I said thank you.


As I stared into the bowl, it really did look like the photograph on the menu.  Now that doesn't always happen; what typically happens (to me anyway) is that the dish comes out looking like a completely different one or looking like a total mess.

As I swirled the spoon around, all I could think about was, why so much oil?  Seriously, it looked like a vat full of oil.  And I really dislike oily food.

Still, I began to carefully eat the noodles, shaking off as much excess oily broth as possible.  The noodles were pretty tasty with the right amount of chewiness.  The egg was ever so slightly softly boiled, the sweetcorn gave the dish a little savoury sweetness, and the pork was tender.

A ramen expert, I am not.  Did I enjoy this? Honestly, it was OK.  Would I have it again?  In a word, no.  Was it well executed?  Yes and no: yes in that the individual elements were good, although nothing outstanding and no, because the broth was just so darn oily. 

Now, I'm sure many will disagree with my above sentiments, just as I am sure that some will rave about this place. 

Even if I do end up being the lone diner again, I would like to come back to try their gyoza and a donburi.

Sapporo Ramen Miharu
1 Nanson Road, #01-11 Gallery Hotel, Singapore
Tel:  +65 6733 8464 

HOURS
12am-3pm, 6pm-9pm Daily
Closed on Wednesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment