Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Little Cupcakes, CBD, Melbourne


This place is only about a five minute walk from where I live, unfortunately.  I say unfortunately because this place does the best cupcakes, and I simply have to stop myself from going in everytime I walk past.  Yes, they are that good.

My love affair with cupcakes started as a small child.  Probably not unlike most people really.  I grew out of them when I started to mature a bit - in my teens.  But like all good things in life, I went back to them as a grown adult.  These days though, they are a little more fancy to what I was used to. 

Little cupcakes is the cutest little bakery with a pastel pink wooden glass fronted door; what looks like hand painted signage on the window and girls in signature Little Cupcake aprons.  It all harps back to the good old 1950s where women took pride of place in the home.

Their cupcakes are freshly baked on the premises and are so moist, they really do just melt in your mouth.  They are lovingly arranged in a glass fronted cabinet and customers form an orderly queue. 

There are a few stools by the window and a central wooden table with a few high chairs, all in this one little space.  Outside are a couple of round garden tables and chairs.  If you're lucky, you'll get a seat here.  Otherwise, a takeout in one of their white cardboard boxes with a cute little sticker on top will have to suffice.  And indeed they do!

Today, I was lucky enough to get a table outside.  I ordered a pot of tea and a Belgian chocolate mini cupcake.  The mini cupcakes are $2 a pop and the larger ones are $4.  Flavours include Red Velvet (made famous by Magnolia Bakery in NYC - also delicious!), lemon, vanilla, latte, carrot, cookie and cream, and more...

I went to sit down and one of the waitresses brought me my pot of tea (in a gorgeous floral teapot), a cup and saucer (which is how tea should be served) and my little cupcake.  Doesn't it look adorable??
 
In case they run out, there is another branch at TG 06 Goldsbrough Lane in the CBD.  Although I have never visited this one, it is definitely on my 'To Do' list.  

Little Cupcakes
Shop 7, Degraves Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel:  +61 (0)3 9077 0413 

No comments:

Post a Comment