Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chapelli's, Melbourne


Having spent the morning down at the Power House Rowing Club, I was in need of some brunch.  Yes, you read right - the rowing club.  I enrolled on an 'Introduction to Rowing' session which was informative and fun.  I intend to sign up for a beginner's course, but whether that'll lead to wanting to compete, who knows!  I doubt it.  As a night owl, I hate the thought of early morning starts.

Anyway, since my friend and I were in South Yarra, we decided to hunt down some late brunch on Chapel Street.  We came to Chapelli's, which is open 24/7.

It was a lovely morning and seeing that this place had a spare garden style wooden booth to sit down in, we decided to take advantage of the gorgeous sunshine.  The other tables were taken as well which served as a positive sign.  Empty places always make me wary, unless I have been to the establishment before.

Inside, there is an expanse of seating.  But it was empty seeing as everyone was outside today.

I ordered a large 'flat white' and the 'Eggs Benedict' - requesting the hollandaise on the side.  I always do this because I hate my eggs benedict smothered in the stuff.  My friend ordered the 'Pancakes with pear and cinnamon.' 

My eggs benedict arrived looking as though the eggs had just landed from outer space.  OK, so looks aren't everything, but the eggs were only just runny.  Any longer and they would have been hard boiled yolks.  The ham was OK, not great but not bad either.  The hollandaise was mediocre.  All in all, it was just OK. 

Nothing amazing, but also nothing terrible, what more can I say?!  I have had better elsewhere.

The pancakes looked a lot better though.  There was a generous topping of warm pears.  However, it looked as though the cinnamon only managed to get sprinkled on one half of it.  My friend (who likes her desserts), commented on how good they were.  It certainly looked better presented than my eggs benedict did.

A nice place to sit out, have a beverage and enjoy watching life on Chapel Street.  Not completely sold on the food.  But then I only had one brunch dish.  However, on reading some other online reviews, it seems that Chapelli's isn't a place that one comes for some delicious culinary cuisine.

I won't be rushing back here for brunch again.  But maybe for a stopover coffee and a sit down.  And maybe, just maybe, I will be tempted to try one of their desserts.

Chapelli's
571 Chapel Street, South Yarra, VIC 3141
Tel: +61 (0)3 9826 9516

No comments:

Post a Comment